Significant progress is taking place at Waterleigh Village, with Publix nearing completion and other businesses vying to get into this highly lucrative area. Leasing information for the 4,800 square foot outparcel suites now indicate the building is fully leased out. Tenants will be Heartland Dental, which will occupy two units, Beaute Nail Spa, and Jersey Mike’s Subs will occupy the restaurant end unit. The building was designed with a food establishment in mind for the end unit and includes outdoor patio seating. McDonald’s and Fifth Third Bank are also in preliminary stages of adding locations to Waterleigh Village.
Additional development of a self storage facility and the liquor store at Publix have been held up by the Board of County Commissioners, who forced the developer to hold a community meeting regarding their proposal before proceeding with a vote. The proposed plan will place a self storage facility situated next to Publix.
Orange County Code defines Village Center Districts in Sec. 38-1389 as:
The village center district shall be located generally at the center of the village adjacent to a collector road which serves that particular village. Commercial development within the village center district should be primarily oriented to serve the residents of the immediate neighborhood.
In the Horizon West 2012 Retrospective Report, it outlines the Horizon West design vision and the focus on walkability within the community by placing dense residential surrounding a commercial center:
The village pattern promoted connectivity between uses and pedestrian environment. The goal of the village framework was to “create an environment where automobiles do not dominate the streetscape” (Lakeside Village SAP, 1997). To promote walkability, housing would be located within one‐half mile of a neighborhood center and generally no more than one mile from the village center.
Several residents attended the prior BCC meeting in opposition of the request, and many others stated they contacted Commissioner’s offices with feedback. In the Horizon West Development Discussion Group, residents have stated that self storage and liquor store at Publix are not needed entities, and that they don’t align with the walkable vision of a village center.
Since the most recent BCC meeting, an additional self storage facility at Hamlin was approved. Waterleigh residents have 4 self storage facilities within a 10 minute drive, along with 5 liquor stores within a 10 minute drive.
Distance to Self Storage Facilities from Waterleigh:
- Hamlin South West Approved Future Self Storage: 6 minutes, 4.0 miles
- My Neighborhood Storage Center: 9 minutes, 4.2 miles
- Life Storage – Kissimmee: 10 minutes, 5.4 miles
- Vista A/C Mini-Storage: 10 minutes, 7.6 miles
- U-Haul Moving & Storage of Four Corners: 11 minutes, 6.2 miles
- Simply Self Storage: 14 minutes, 6.6 miles
- US Storage Centers: 15 minutes, 8.6 miles
- Personal Mini Storage: 17 minutes, 9.1 miles
- Distance will be shorten with the future connection of Sawgrass Bay and Flemmings.
Distance to Liquor Stores from Waterleigh:
- Bronson Liquors 2: 5 minutes, 2.4 miles
- Target at Flamingo Crossings: 6 minutes, 3.4 miles
- Walmart Liquor: 9 minutes, 5.8 miles
- Future Sam’s Club Liquor: 9 minutes, 5.8 miles
- Publix Liquors at Summer Bay: 12 minutes, 6.4 miles
- 1st Infinity Liquor Llc: 11 minutes, 6.4 miles
- Knightly Spirits of Summerport: 13 minutes, 7 miles
- Publix Liquors at Lakeside Village Center: 15 minutes, 8.7 miles
In Horizon West code, a self-storage facility is a “conditional use” request, which do not require a community meeting, but do require BCC approval, per Sec. 38-1389.
Residents are encouraged to attend the community meeting on Thursday, June 8 at 6pm, held at the Water Spring Elementary Cafeteria.
Want more information on what's being developed? Visit our Horizon West Interactive Development Map to see what's being built!
Have questions about what's being built in Horizon West? Ask us in our Horizon West Development Discussion Group!
Copyright © Horizon West Solutions LLC. All Rights Reserved. HorizonWestInfo.com may be compensated or receive a commission for products or services purchased through links on our website.