Stock up on supplies at the beginning of hurricane season or weeks before a potential storm. Making a dedicated trip to Wal-Mart at once and putting the items in storage helps knock out many of these items.
- Travel Bag: Pack a travel bag in case of immediate evacuation. Pack for three days. This should include clothes, toiletries, and medication. Relate to packing for a weekend getaway, but with only limited options to purchase items you forgot. Pack extra glasses or contact lenses if needed. When packing medication, bring your entire supply so you don’t run out or risk it being damaged in your home.
- First Aid Supplies: Be prepared to respond to small injuries with a First Aid Kit, as first responders will not be able to get to your house during the storm or immediately afterwards. Amazon has First Aid Kit options available for under $20.
- Household Supplies: A few days before a hurricane is when stores start to run out of stock. Be prepared with extra home supplies. Items include paper towels, toilet paper, and hygiene items. Additional items that are helpful include allergy medicine, mosquito repellent, duct tape, and hand sanitizer.
- Food Supplies: Ensure you have a minimum of 72 hours of food for each person. More is always better. Stock up on canned foods and non-perishable foods. Canned meat, fruits, and vegetables are great options, along with canned soups and beans.
- Water: Buy your water at the beginning of the season. Bottled water has a very long shelf life and will get you through the season.
- Cash: Before the storm, swing by an ATM and withdraw some cash, minimum of $100 depending on the size of your family.
- Pet Supplies: Similar to your travel bag, be prepared with supplies for your pet. Keep an extra bag of pet food and treats on hand throughout hurricane season.
- Batteries: While batters could fall under “Household Supplies”, they deserve their own line. These are critical during power outages to keep you in the light. AmazonBasic Batteries are a low price, excellent value, and easy way to stock up.
- Flashlights/Lantern: Flashlights are great when searching for an item, but are inefficient in lighting up a dark room for several hours at night. Lantern’s offer light for the whole room without having to utilize multiple flashlights. Purchase these items now and check their batteries.
- Weather Radio: This is a must for living in Florida. A Weather radio will alert you for warnings and watches in your zip code.
Get Your Horizon West T-Shirt!
If you receive a public hearing notice or zoning change request in the mail, please share it in the Horizon West Development Discussion Group.