A new community composting service is available in Horizon West. O-Town Compost offers pickup of food scraps, which then is turned into compost at their professional composting facility.
How it works:
- Subscribers receive an air-tight 5-gallon bucket delivered to their door. Service can be weekly or bi-weekly.
- Fill the bucket with food scraps, such as frust and veggies, meat, dairy, tea bags, coffee filter, paper towels, or cut up pizza boxes.
- Some items that can’t be included are fruit stickers, rubber bands, wax-coated paper cups, pet waste, or biodegradable plastics.
- On your pickup day, your bucket will be picked up, and a new clean bucket will replace it.
- Every 6 months, 20lbs of compost is available for delivery or can be donated to local growers.
Food waste thrown in the trash ends up at the Orange County Landfill, where it is covered and mumified without the presence of oxygen. This causes the release of methane, which is a leading cause of climate change. Composting food scraps creates compost, which is a productive, all-natural fertilizer. O-Town Compost reports that some customers are able to reduce their trash by nearly half using their service.
Weekly service is currently $32/month, while bi-weekly service is $24/month. For more information on plans and to sign-up, visit o-towncompost.com.
Want more information on what's being developed? Visit our Horizon West Interactive Development Map to see what's being built!
Have questions about what's being built in Horizon West? Ask us in our Horizon West Development Discussion Group!
Copyright © Horizon West Solutions LLC. All Rights Reserved. HorizonWestInfo.com may be compensated or receive a commission for products or services purchased through links on our website.