The Horizon West Library may be in jeopardy as residents from Lake Nona push the Orange County Library System Board of Trustees to build the next library branch in Lake Nona instead of Horizon West. Stealing the library from Horizon West would delay a library in Horizon West until 2029, as the OCLS budget can only support one new library at a time. The next library built, whether in Horizon West or Lake Nona, would open in 2025. A Lake Nona Library is supported by Orlando Commissioner Jim Gray and a petition has secured over 7,000 signatures. Lake Nona residents have formed a committee and will be presenting a formal proposal for a location at Lake Nona.
During the November 12, 2020 Board of Trustees meeting, the Board selected the location at the intersection of Tiny Road and Hamlin Groves Trail for the preferred location for the library branch. During this same meeting, the Board clearly indicated there is no cost efficient location within Lake Nona for a library branch. In January 2021, the Board voted to commited to purchase a parcel of land to allow further negotiations to continue. Even though OCLS continues to pursue the Horizon West location, Lake Nona continues attempts to steal our library.
Here are the facts:
- OCLS and former District 1 Commissioner Betsy VanderLey already decided against a temporary library for Horizon West in 2019, which would have detracted funds from the eventual permanent location. Had they known Lake Nona would attempt to steal our library, they probably would have supported the temporary location.
- Currently 25,000 residents live in Horizon West, compared to 18,000 in Lake Nona.
- Horizon West has a projected population of 100,000, compared to only 43,000 in Lake Nona.
- At full population, 92,000 residents would be within a 5-mile radius of the library, compared to only 55,000 in Lake Nona.
How to Get Involved:
- Sign the Horizon West Library Petition.
- Attend the OCLS Board Meeting on June 10 at 6pm. To speak on Zoom during public comments, register at https://www.ocls.info/board-trustees/submit-a-notice-intent-speak.
- Email your support to all of our local leaders. Any action in support, even a short quick email, is beneficial. Copy and paste the below addresses to show your support.
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Mayor@ocfl.net, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
While it’s great to see two communities show their passion over a library, adding a library to Lake Nona should not detract or take away from the Horizon West Library. Horizon West is Orlando’s fastest growing community according to the Orlando Sentinel, and the second-fastest master planned community in the nation only behind The Villages.
Get Your Horizon West T-Shirt!
Join us and let your voice be heard!
Horizon West Development Discussion Group