As the population grows in Horizon west, new schools continue to be built in Horizon West to support more students. Last year, Hamlin Elementary and Hamlin Middle both opened, and this year, Water Spring Middle moved into it’s own campus after sharing Horizon High for the past 2 years. However, Schools throughout the area continue to face challenges to handle more capacity than the original buildings were designed for, as the growth outpaces new schools, and portable classrooms help schools handle the influx in students.
To start the 2023-2024 school season, here is the breakdown of portable classrooms at each Horizon West school.
- Bay Lake Elementary: 0 portables (No change)
- Castleview Elementary: 0 portables (No change)
- Independence Elementary: 6 portables (No change)
- Hamlin Elementary: 0 portables (No change)
- Keene’s Crossing Elementary: 11 portables (No change)
- Panther Lake Elementary: 0 portables (No change)
- Summerlake Elementary: 1 portable (Reduced by 13 in 2023-24)
- Sunset Park Elementary: 2 portables (Reduced by 11 in 2023-24)
- Water Spring Elementary: 27 portables (Added 10 for 2023-24)
- Bridgewater Middle*: 13 portables (Reducing by 70 in 2023-24)
- Hamlin Middle: 0 portables (No change)
- Horizon West Middle: 10 portables (No change)
- Water Spring Middle: 0 portables (Moved to new school in 2023-24)
- Windermere High School: 12 portables (No change)
- Horizon High School: 10 portables (Adding 2 used by Water Spring Middle School in 2022-23)
Total Portable Count
- 2022-2023: 176 portables
- 2023-2024: 92 portables
*Bridgewater Middle portables were slated for removal last year, but were not removed until this past July, thus stayed in last years count.
To start off the 2023-2024 school year, some portable classrooms at Water Spring Elementary were not been completed in time for students to occupy. OCPS provided horizonwestinfo.com this statement on the situation:
Although we had planned to have the portables installed prior to the start of the school year, our schedule was impacted by unforeseen vendor delays in delivery of the portables to the campus which we were not able to overcome. We acknowledge the potential adverse impacts and are treating completion of the work necessary to allow occupancy of the portables with the urgency that it deserves.
To continue adapting to the growth in Horizon West, more schools are planned for the area. Site 47-E-W-4, an elementary school, is under construction in Waterleigh with an opening date of August 2024. Site 126-E-W-4, located in the Hartzog Road area, is also an elementary school and is planned to open in 2027.
Be sure to subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive all of the latest updates, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and Reddit.
Want more information on what's being developed? Visit our Horizon West Interactive Development Map to see what's being built!
Have questions about what's being built in Horizon West? Ask us in our Horizon West Development Discussion Group!
Copyright © Horizon West Solutions LLC. All Rights Reserved.
HorizonWestInfo.com may be compensated or receive a commission for products or services purchases through links on our website.